Guidelines

Classroom Rules

1. Bring materials for class daily (all required art materials and computer fully charged)

2. Be an active learner at all times. Avoid behavior that disrupts the class, a classmate, or the teacher.

3. SAFETY: Students, teachers and guests will treat all materials, tools and situations with safety as the number one priority. Learn to use tools properly, keep your work area clean and organized and be aware of what others are doing around you. Become familiar with the equipment before using it.

4. Use appropriate language at all times, foul language will not be tolerated

5. Respect the personal property of classmates, the school, and the teacher. Abuse of materials and

classroom environment will not be tolerated. Students will all participate in cleanup at the end of each class session. Each student is responsible for everyone’s mess. This means you help each other clean up and put away all materials in their proper place.

6. Do not spray or bring perfume or cologne into my classroom, I am highly allergic.

7. Follow the rules in the student handbook including computer conduct rules

Consequences For Failing to Follow the Rules 

1. Verbal warning and reminder of classroom rules

2. Seat moved or lose computer

Computers will be used for classroom assignments, students can listen to music, watch videos, read articles, etc. for projects and while working on projects. This is a privilege for art students, if the privilege is taken advantage of or not used properly computers will be taken away and given back at the end of class, second offense computers will go to the office. If a student has earned a 70% or below, that student will not be permitted to listen to music or use the computer for non-class purposes until the grade is raised.

3. Students will be sent to the office with a referral

Blogging Guidelines

Internet safety is of utmost importance when blogging. Through blogging, you can learn how to be cyber safe in an authentic setting with a real audience. This means when you are blogging at school you can be cyber safe in a supervised setting. When you press PUBLISH, what you have written is instantly visible all around the world.  Posting on the internet is leaving your virtual footprint, and it can always be traced back to it’s owner! Make sure you think carefully about what you write in blogs and in comments and always follow these rules.

BE SAFE:

▪   Do not use your last name.

▪   Don’t be specific when writing about yourself. eg. Say: “I play basketball with a local team” rather than “I play for the Wendouree Tigers”.

▪   Never give anyone your address, email address or phone number.

▪   Do not post photos of others without their permission.

BE RESPECTFUL

▪   Don’t say anything that might be offensive to someone else.

▪   Be considerate of others. When commenting, show others that you have read what they have written and looked thoroughly at their photos, rather than just saying “great job, cool photo”.

▪   Be open to other people’s opinions, but be prepared to discuss your own position if you don’t agree.

▪   Any profane language or postings that are inappropriate will result in disciplinary action. These blogs are for academic purposes so please respect our intentions.

BE LITERATE

▪   You know about good grammar, spelling and punctuation. Apply those skills when blogging. ALWAYS proof read. (no txt tlk thnx m8!)

▪   You are sharing your thoughts with the world. Present yourself in the best possible light.

▪   Keep it education-oriented. Stick to tasks set in class. Unless it pertains to the assignment, stay away from discussing plans for the weekend, general rambling, or diary entries about nothing. Chances are your responses to class tasks will usually be far more interesting!!

Commenting

The purpose of commenting is to connect. We comment a lot: on YouTube videos, on blogs, and face-to-face–pretty much, we comment all the time. We comment to learn, sometimes from people on the other side of the world. We comment to express our opinions about what has been written. We comment to connect, and to connect we tell stories, use humor, and share our thinking. Remember, you are trying to engage the blogger in a conversation! A good comment can be the beginning of a good blogging relationship. Here is our advice on quality commenting:

Suggested response prompts:

▪   This made me think about…

▪   I wonder why…

▪   Your photo made me form an opinion about…

▪   This post is relevant because…

▪   Your photo made me think that we should…

▪   I wish I understood why…

▪   This is important because…

▪   Another thing to consider is…

▪   I can relate to this…

▪   I don’t understand…

▪   I was reminded that…

▪   I found myself wondering…

Think about the tone of your comment:

▪   Be polite, friendly, and encouraging.

▪   Have some humour, but be careful with sarcasm.

▪   If you disagree, don’t be rude about it; give constructive (helpful) feedback.

Think about the content of your comment:

▪   Keep your comment on topic and make sense. Say something about the original post.

▪   Don’t say random stuff or get really silly.

▪   Be more formal than you would in real life, but not stuffy.

▪   Avoid texting shortcuts like u for you and l8r for later, and only use one emoticon if you need to.

▪   Sometimes add a question at the end to keep the conversation going.

▪   Include your blog url (address) so the blogger knows where to find you.

▪   Always include the elements and principles of art when discussing other students photographs, use descriptive words, and describe what you think

Think about conventions of your comment:

Try to fix your spelling mistakes: use Word for drafting your comments.

Use capitals in the right places: people’s names, places, the beginning of a sentence, and on “I” –no evil i’s. All capitals is like yelling.

Punctuate properly: period at the end of a sentence, space after a period, comma, or end bracket. One “!” will do: you don’t need a string of exclamation marks.

Remember, you are putting your best self forward, so polish your comments.

▪   Make your comment worth reading.

▪   Start a conversation.

▪   Be positive, interested, and encouraging.

▪   If you disagree, be polite about it.

▪   Connect with the post: be on topic.

▪   Re-read your comment before you hit submit–think before you send!

▪   Aim for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

▪   Don’t use chat or texting language like lol, i, or u.

▪   No “Hi! Visit my blog! Bye!” comments. Be thoughtful.

▪   Include your blog url so people can comment back, and use our gmail address, not student webmail.